Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Dragonflies

My daughter and Ollie left around 9:00 this morning and I got started on clean up, something needed after a visit with baby, but also to keep myself busy while I wait for word that they're home safe. The little pool and swing in the apple tree are still in the yard to be put away for another visit. My husband was up and out early to a golf tournament; when he gets home, I know we'll both feel their absence.
Especially Ollie's giggles and cute smile.
Always though, in the back of my mind were my current works in progress up on my design wall. Nests, feathers and chickadees, queen Anne's lace and ferns, cows, and painted teabags pinned to organza.
I know how I want to proceed with all of them, but at the same time I'm not loving them. I know from past experience that I need to stick with them to the end. Not every piece is succesful. It is about the process and the learning experience.
After doing some cleaning abd getting the bedding on the line, I sat down to work on a few dragonflies-- stitching on beads for eyes and wings.
I finished one and put eyes on two more. I want 3 dragonflies to add to my cosmos piece, so I can officially call it finished and move on.
Slowly, I'm getting familiar with my new machine. Here, I've got organza plus Angeline fibre hooped and ready to free motion stitch some more wings.
I planned to head out to the yard this afternoon. After all the heat we had, while I stayed inside, the weeds have really grown. Yesterday i weeded some spots out back and now I could add mulch.
Hubby arrived home just now and i think we'll head to the beach for a swim. I'll see how conditions are for my kayak. Conditions were beautiful!
And the water was warm!
And i just got the message that Ollie and my daughter are home. All is good. Except for a wee bit of loneliness.
We'll adjust, and we're heading over to the island again in a few weeks.
 

3 comments:

Janice Smith said...

Holly, I don't know if it just me, but your photos are not showing up in this post.

Peg's Place said...

Your pictures show up beautifully. I love your array of fibers and techniques. Those tea bags are so cute. The house is always so lonely when they leave. Good thing that you kept busy!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're getting to spend time with Ollie. He's growing so fast. So many beautiful projects on the go.