Friday, June 9, 2017
Stitching gossamer wings
Since it's a bit grey and damp outside this afternoon, bringing the flies out, I decided to stay inside. I put together a binding for a baby quilt, intending to sew it on; however, so ething else was calling to me. I have been addding dragonflies, bees and other bugs to some of my flowered textile pieces for a long time. The first ones had appliqued bodies and wings stitched directly onto the piece. Gradually, I've experimented with 3 D dragonflies making the bodies by wrapping yarn over wire and stitching wings with various shear fabrics plus angelina fibers. These were made in this manner. I added a layer of water soluable clear stabilizer which I rinsed out leaving a bit for stiffness. The same process was used in the bee's wings.