Thursday, November 6, 2014

Birches: Appliqueing foreground bits

This morning I got a little surge of energy, damp mopping a floor and then heading outside to do a few more gardening chores. We may be getting another snowfall tomorrow. It's not unusual to get a snowfall this early but it seems unusual to have two in one week. The first one hasn't melted either.

I just spent an hour and a half finishing up the free motion stitching in greys and blacks on the trees. Before stopping for the day I laid out some of the rosehip structures. I use tweezers for this step and I tend to keep going back to it and moving things.


I decided to iron down what I have. It does look a bit flat laying there but that will change once add the berries aLong with the shadows and highlites with stitching.


For now I'll stop here. As is my usual routine, I'll wander into the studio now again, adding bits of pieces here and there. It's a bit of a process; one I really enjoy.

3 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

I'm learning lot from watching your process/progress on this piece. I really think it is lovely.

One thing I'm learning is that it is good to step back and take a break, then go back and look. It changes one's viewpoint doesn't it.

Susan S

Mereknits said...

It is absolutely amazing.
Hugs to you my talented friend.
Meredith

rtquilter said...

Looking really great Holly. Can't wait to see it finished!