Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Gelli printing

A quilting friend has been asking me to do a workshop on printing with the Gelli, and since I haven't gotten around to it, I asked her over today to work with her.
We first had a cup of tea and muffins while we perused a book of flowers and talked about colors. We drew up a few shapes on paper and cut them out. These are used as a mask on the Gelli plate once the paint is rolled onto it. I didn't even think about pictures during the process.
The white areas are the paper shapes. Also, we used some stamps to press in some texture and a paintbrush to take away some paint. (the leaf shapes)
The second one came out a lot lighter. It is a bit more pastel than it shows.
 For some reason the turquoise comes through a lot more garishly than in real life. I tried photographing it in 3 different rooms.
Carmel really likes water lilies so we tried one.
I showed her how to use the Neocolor II crayons to add some color. She took the prints home with her to try adding the details with stitching. Her plan is to use one of her prints to make a sewing machine cover.
I'm connecting to The Needle and Thread Network.





10 comments:

Dolores said...

It's always nice to play and especially to learn something new.

Lorette said...

Very nice. I'm anxious to start using my new gelli plate. This is inspiration! Thank you for sharing!

elle said...

That was great. I'm itching to print some fabric!

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

I wish I could have participated in the gelli print experimentation. Looks like fun.

Mystic Quilter said...

Great to see what you are doing with your Gelli plate - I am waiting for the mail man to deliver one to me probably this week! They look great fun.

Angela said...

Very nice!

Regina said...

Very nice, especially as you got to play with a friend!

In stitches and seams said...

looks like a lot of fun.
It is soemething I want to try playing with also.
in stitches

Jo Ferguson said...

Sounds like the perfect day. Thanks for showing the progression of the piece. It's lovely and I imagine even more so, in person. I might just have to put a Gelli plate on my wish list.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Nice. You are so skilled with paint and cloth. : )

Monika