Thursday, August 29, 2013

My trip preparations and some fusible appliqué

I spent this morning cleaning out my frig and freezer and getting some string beans blanched for the freezer. Since I'm leaving for Ontario tomorrow, I wanted to take care of some of the fresh veggies. I froze some and picked some for supper and to leave for my husband to eat while I'm away.
Hopefully, he'll hear about any frosts and cover the tomato plants. He usually does.
When I checked my mail, I was surprised to find my copies of the Quiting Arts Gifts magazine that has my article with directions for my snowflake table topper. I will save the reading for later, but of course I had to take a quick peak at the photos. I really love how they photographed them!

For info on the magazine you can click on it on my sidebar.
As a little distraction from my impending voyage --aren't I silly to get anxious? I don't get out much-- I fused and cut a few pieces for my little landscape just to get an idea of how it will look.

There will be a gravelly foreground which I didn't cut yet. Also, I think I will cut the green foliage back quite a bit lower and into more branches/leafy shapes allowing for me to thread paint leaves and such in which the background water will show through.
I'm happy with the colors, but of course the addition of thread painting with different values should make quite a difference.
It will give me something to think about during my travels and I'll have something to look forward to when I come home next week. I have to think about the framing. What I have in mind is to add a metered boarder before I actually start the thread painting so that it will all be backed with an interfacing. It will be quilted as a one pieced wall hanging.
So you likely won't see a post from me for about a week unless I get onto a WiFi network.

4 comments:

Gill said...

I loved your snowflakes when I saw them on your blog - how exciting to see them in print!
Have a great trip and I can't believe you're expecting frosts already!!

elle said...

Sew great! The landscape looks good and you can have a good time and look forward to good things when you return. Happy trip!

rtquilter said...

Very nice start Holly. Well done. Keep up the good work. I love the painted fabric.

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Wow Holly, I'm impressed. I can't wait to get the magazine to look for the article.