Monday, February 13, 2012

a hospital visit

Our storm Saturday night didn't turn out to be as much snow as predicted; we got about 6 inches. There was enough for Gord to get the snow blower out while I cleaned off the front and back steps. I had kind of a lazy day after that, as for the last week or so I've been having some trouble with high blood pressure. Over the course of the weekend it kept getting higher, and last night I was kept awake most of the night with a pounding head ache. Upon arising early this morning, I was woozy with shortness of breath and palpitations, so we made the decision to make a hospital visit. The heart was OK, but I got a prescription for a high blood pressure medication that would also slow my heart rate and was told to rest for a few days until it came down.
For anyone who knows me, despite my various other health issues (like I needed more) that have developed in the last 2 years, I don't like to rest much during the day. I took my first pill this afternoon though and stretched out. Apparently it could take a couple of weeks but at least my headache is better.
I thought you might like an idea for a quick and tasty supper. This is what we made last night.

The vegetarian spring rolls I buy from the market and I bake them rather than fry them. I did a simple stir fry-- chopped onion, garlic, ginger, red pepper, celery, broccoli, and chopped firm tofu. Near the end, I added segments of clementines. For the sauce: some orange juice, cornstarch, apple cider vinegar, a small amount of veggie broth, and about a tsp of maple syrup, stirred and then added  to the pan. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and serve with brown rice. If you don't like tofu, you could use cooked chicken or simply leave it out. I cook by eye and by taste so I don't have exact measurements. Be creative, it's delicious!
I did a very little bit of thread painting on my 2nd cosmos piece that will be incorporated into a sewing machine cover.

First, I stitched the centers of the flowers with a stiff interfacing as support. Next, I sandwiched it and started the pink in the flowers.
When I came home today, I had a nice surprise to perk me up. There was a package from Margaret Applin of the blog Scrap Wisdom Collage. We have corresponded a bit and after my article in Quilting Arts(she has done a few), we decided it would be fun to do a collaborative project. We each did a background and sent it off to the other. I will now get to finish the background that Margaret started. I'm teasing you a bit because I'll show you the picture tomorrow. The fabric I received is very pretty and intriguing with it's layers.

1 comment:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Oh gosh.....hope you feel better. your meal and art piece look delicious!! We got about the same in snow....it drifts across our driveway...we are by the marsh...so get the wind....Merrill had to take the farm tracter out to plough...take care