Tuesday, January 3, 2012

machine quilting continued

Well, you'd  think I'd be done by now, it's only about 12 by 14 inches, but I'm still going. I only sat down to the machine at around 3 o'clock and played for about an hour. By that time the arthritis in the neck starts to complain. One reason is that I don't have the best set up for free motion work. My machine sits atop of the cabinet as opposed to sitting down into it.
The machine quilting is a lot denser than I would normally do. I've named it Fantasy Garden which has seemed to give me license to really go at it. I did leaves on the right hand and top border.

Then I added bubbles with a hollow shimmer thread and, on a whim, I added some shimmer paint to the bubbles.

I also added paint to the fronds that I machine stitched yesterday. The only thing I noticed is the texture of the lines in the fronds where the fabric rippled a bit form the quilting. I'm not sure if I like it so once it sets, I'll iron it and decide if I should paint them out.

I'm linking to the WIP Wednesday at The Needle and Thread Network.

6 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really smiled when I saw the ripples/lines in the fronds, and maybe that is because I'm so fond of zebras, lol! It may not be the effect you are going for so is it an opportunity or just not meeting your expectations? The arty pieces are the hardest to make decisions on...

elle said...

I do like it, Holly. You are doing a great job. The MQing set up is key to comfort and workability. Keep tweaking your set up until it is comfy.

greelyrita said...

This work has a fairy-land feel to it. It's very ethereal and delicate. I love it! It's a nice antidote to -20C, -3F here this morning! Your eye and inclination for this work is worth tweaking the setup to make it more comfortable. There must be something you can do.

Michelle in Saskatoon said...

I really like it too, but sometimes things look a lot different in photos than in real life, so maybe you see something else when u look at it. I really like the bubbles

Leanne said...

Your work is very beautiful!

Ellen said...

Lovely!