Tuesday, January 24, 2012

a good day with friends

I'm still having a low week energy wise which unfortunately also affects my creativity. That's OK, one has to go with the flow.
Today, I planned a hand stitching day with some quilting friends, but the weather did not cooperate. We got freezing rain and sleet in the  night, so the roads were not good and the driveways and parking lots even worse. Two 'town' friends came though, and we sat and stitched for a while and then had lunch. I finished the bindings on a baby quilt and my chickadee wall hanging. It's finally all done.
My friend, Paula sewed the binding onto this baby quilt. Isn't it different? The photo doesn't really do all the black and whites justice. It is actually quite vibrant.

She also just got this one back from the long arm quilters. It is done with the same pattern as the black and white one. It was laid out on the floor and I couldn't quite get it all into the frame.

Coincidentally, the mail man came with a small envelope marked form California, so I told my friend, Anne, to go ahead and open it because I knew it was the house blocks that I won from Love, Laugh, Quilt. She hosted a 'neighborhood block party' in December and drew 3 names to win the blocks. I was lucky to be one. I don't have time right now to put it together, but I do have an idea of what I will do with the blocks. I will make 1 more for nine and then make narrow trees for between the houses horizontally. In between each row I will then do wider 'bricks' to simulate the road.

It is a really fun gift! When I have time I will contact the makers of each block as well.
Here is the bread that I blogged about on Sunday past. I've been baking a small loaf each day. It is very good and even better with this maple syrup that my friend Anne brought me. She and her husband make it form their own little maple syrup operation. It tastes exceptional and I treasure it.
Tomorrow is my swimming day so I'm not what I'll get done after that.I'm kind of stalled on my birch tree project--just not sure where I want to go with it.

8 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You must have gotten the freezing rain we were supposed to get but it went north of us.

That's a good idea to bake a little loaf of bread each day. There is nothing quite as good as fresh bread.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Beautiful pieces.....it must be so much fun getting together to sew...

Mary Ann Tate said...

Your idea for the house blocks sounds like a great idea. Can't wait ot see how it turns out:)

elle said...

The black and whites are super in a quilt. Lucky you with the house blocks. Your idea sounds great.

Sheila said...

Love the house blocks and your ideas for finishing them , they are so bright and cheery .

Susan J Barker said...

I like the plan you have for the house blocks! I have a short stack of them from a few years back and have not in all that time come up with a logical way to put them together -- a similar plan may work with my blocks! Thanks! I just got a new can of yeast this weekend but haven't got to mixing it with flour-- maybe today...

AND love the b&w! This blog post is very inspiring!

Peggy said...

Arent't those house blocks fabulous - will make a wonderful quilt. That bread looks intriguingly delicious!

greelyrita said...

We make bread a couple of times a week too. Isn't it just the best?? I love a nice chewy crust! So yum!
People think it's so much work but it really isn't and bread is so expensive now that it's totally worthwhile to do it yourself.

I hope your energy comes back. Perhaps it's just this time of year. I know freezing rain takes my energy away. I swear, if I have to scrape ice off the car one more time, I'm going to pop!!