Thursday, October 13, 2011

thread painted birch

Today, I swapped out the seashell for the birch tree. I've got the seashell up on my wall with fabric scraps pinned to it while I decide which color to choose for some appliqued seaweed. I t might help me decide if I take a picture and put it on the computer...perhaps tomorrow.

I took a picture of the birch tree rubbing as I began to thread paint it. I remembered, though, as I got going , that I wanted to add some paint to some areas, so I stopped and did that using Neocolor II water soluble crayons.

While that dried I took out some oil pastels, the Neocolor II again, and did this quick scribble in my sketchbook.

This morning I bought some paint in the same colors. My plan is to paint on an old plywood door to hang in my  living room. I got this idea to paint something in a sort of abstract style which I have never done before. I'm sure once I get going it will look totally different. I just wanted to get an idea to start with. I have lots of textural things to stamp with and some thermofax screens of trees.My husband cut a little off the door, filled the hollow spots, and is now working on sanding it.

I ironed the birch tree and went back to do some more thread painting. I took this picture at a bit of an angle so the camera picked up a little of the sparkle form the silver Shiva Paintstick.
 I was surprised by the door bell yesterday when a friend stopped by to give me a belated birthday gift (it was last week). She gave me this cup that was made by a mutual friend of ours. Her Etsy shop is here.

No comments: