Sunday, July 17, 2011

hot and sultry

This was the kind of weekend to get out and enjoy the sunshine and summer temps. Yesterday hubby and I got up and enjoyed a leisurely coffee and tea on our deck before we headed out to visit a friend's camp on the Pokemouche River about an hour's drive from here. We had lunch at our favorite little bakery/cafe called Les Graines Folies on the way down.
This chickadee has been tearing off bits of sting from this cord for days. It stuffs it's mouth so full you can hardly see the bird.

After chatting for a while with our friends on the deck of the cottage, we put our kayaks in the water for the first time this year. It was heavenly and thankfully not too hot. The water was almost inky with beautiful reflections. It was as if we were sailing through the clouds. We were able to stop for a snack and enjoy a leisurely paddle for a couple of hours, and then we had a dip back at the dock. Afterwards we visited some more had supper there and enjoyed a wonderful apple strudel that Claude and Glenda had made. Perfection!

Today turned out to be very hot and sultry and my husband had plans to golf nine holes with his father and brother. They went anyway and I went out to visit with his mom at the beach. I sat on the deck in a stupor and almost didn't do anything the air was so hot and heavy. I got into the ocean water though and floated around for a while with a noodle. I felt a little revived and did this little watercolor on the deck.

I'm not sure what the weather will be for the rest of the week, but if it stays hot like this,  I may retreat to the basement where I can only do handwork as my sewing room is on the main level. I only have air conditioning in the bedroom. At least we can sleep well.

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

We're in for a whole week of 90s unless Tues really has a storm that they are predicting. We have had 90s this weekend but today was the first really sticky day. It looks like a basement week for me too.

Dolores said...

I feel for you. It took years but my children and I finally managed to get my husband to agree to central air. The children have all left but I am still enjoying the coolness of the house. I love basements for their coolness - we used to live in a basement apt. when we first got married and I remember how comfortable it was to sleep in the heat of the summer.