Thursday, March 31, 2011

pattern process

I've never really done this sort of thing before. As I mentioned in the last post, I usually like to work in a little more free form way. It is a learning experience. I thought I'd show a little more of my process and progress.
 This is my way to commemorate the place where my husband and his father both worked.  First, I started with several pictures of the mill which is now in the final stages of being torn down.

I used a rectangular viewfinder to zero in on certain areas that interested me with both color and design elements. Once I chose a section, I took it to the copier and enlarged it to the approximate desired finished size.

Then I simplified the drawing somewhat by tracing with a black pen around the important elements and transferred it to tracing paper. From there I've started to make(with a little help form a friend) paper piecing patterns for each section. Today, I made a couple more and got them sewn together. The finished size should be somewhere between 8 by 10 and 10 by 12 inches , but I may mount it on a larger canvas. It doesn't look like much, but it really is quite an achievement for me!

No comments: