Friday, March 11, 2011

finished quilting the birds

This afternoon, after having done errands, then an appointment at the bank, and  lunch with friends,  I finished the little bit of free motion quilting on the birds just before dinner time. While watching the news I did a little more embroidery on it. I'll take another picture once I finish.
Today I made a vegetarian spaghetti sauce using TVP or textured vegetarian protein. Although I've made various versions of a vegetarian spaghetti, I've never tried it with the TVP. I started by sauteing onions, garlic and celery, and then added green and red peppers, zucchini and mushrooms. After about 10 minutes I added my spices and the sauce. The TVP requires about 5 minutes of soaking in hot water and then I added that to the sauce. It's served over regular whole wheat noodles, and we found found it to be really delicious. I froze the left over sauce. It may go into my version of vegetarian chili.
Just before supper, I started pulling out some fabrics to go with these gel prints that I did last summer. Since I'm planning to display at the waterfront craft shop this summer, I'm trying to get a few things ready. I think I'm going to sew these up into pillows and I  will do only a small amount of machine quilting on them.
I actually got the first borders on with the pink but now that I see it on the computer, I find the pink a little bright. I'll wait until tomorrow for a second look but I may take them off and go for the purple fabric. I do plan to addd a little more pink to part of the flowers though, so it might help. If you look carefully, you can see a smidgen of the blue batik that I will put on the outside and also the widest border. It has a bit of the purple color in it as well.

No comments: