Sunday, February 20, 2011

blog land blessings

Since I'm still not quite up to getting out, I took a picture from my back door that may give you some idea as to how much snow we have. I heard we are to expect more perhaps Tuesday. My poor husband doesn't have to decide what kind of exercise he's going to do--he's been snow blowing and scooping snow off the roof all weekend!

I've been in a bit of a slump lately, both health wise and quilting wise. Actually, I think one affects the other. In my closet of fabrics I have a box where I've been collecting some Kaffe Fassett fabrics which I've been dreaming of using. I have several fat quarters plus a jelly roll. The problem I've been having is to to find a pattern in which I could incorporate both. This is where the kindness of a fellow blogger comes in. When I wrote to  Wanda Hanson at Exuberant Color and told her about my ideas for a quilt, she made some suggestions. We wrote back and forth for a bit and then she worked out the measurements for me. I then wrote that I liked the ideas but couldn't picture it,  and I was too tired due to the pneumonia to try anything yet. So, what does she do but whips up some blocks and sends me a picture.  After that I decided what I wanted to do but wasn't sure if my fabric would work or not, so then she sent a link to another quilt. I went to bed and thought some more. By the time I woke up this morning, walked into my sewing room, and looked at the explosion of fabric that I had left out on my cutting table, I had made my decision.

Today, I seem to finally have a little more energy, although my chest is clearing slowly. I cut and sewed these 4 blocks to see how it will look. I'm very happy and excited about them! It feels good to have that spark again. My thanks to a fellow blogger for helping along. Isn't blog land something? I'm still too weak to stand for long, so I wont' be able to do  a lot of cutting, but it is very satisfying to have made the decision. Now I can start organizing and cutting .
I am also knitting a sweater called The Tea Leaves Cardigan which I found on Ravelry. It is knit from the top down-- a new and wonderful method that I've just discovered. The yarn is a very nice double knitting weight  cotton. It's called Buttterfly by  Kertzer, made in Greece and such a gorgeous color!

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Well your start is fantastic! You are right by adding in a few other fabrics you will still have the feel of a Kaffe fabric quilt.

Unknown said...

Stopped over to say hi and thank you for visiting my blog. Wow can't believe you have pneumonia. I was out of work 2 months and didn't feel myself for about 3 months. The hardest thing was my head wanted to create but my body wouldn't cooperate. Take care of yourself and rest when ever your tired.
Sincerely, Karen

imquilternity said...

I'm so happy you've found a little "spark" again. It always comes back doesn't it? I love what you're doing!