Wednesday, January 19, 2011

another snow day

School was canceled around most of the province today except for here. I think it should have been as we got more snow than anticipated. I used to love a good snow day when I was working because it meant a day 'cosied up' a t home. Often I would make bread or bake something that I normally wouldn't have time for. I still try to do the same thing.
Wednesday is usually my morning for swimming but I just  couldn't get myself out to clean off the car. I don't have far to go so it would have been OK driving, but I was dragging again this morning. I feel like I had to physically pull myself up out of an aching lethargy of lassitude and depression. It was one one of those mornings and I don't know why they hit. I finished my antibiotics and was feeling better. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow though.
Finally around 10:30 I got dressed and did  the 3 mile walk on my exercise video. That lifted my spirits. Then I got this crazy patch block done for a group quilt our guild is doing. These are my favorite colors right now.

After lunch I was feeling increasingly bad, aching all over, so I took a Tylenol and made these muffins. It doesn't do for me to nap; usually, I just feel worse. These are Cranberry granola muffins, made from one of my 'go to' recipes. I took it from a newspaper so I should be able to add it here.


Cranberry Granola Muffins
Add dry ingredients to a large bowl:
1 3/4 cps flour (I mix white and whole wheat)
1 1/4 cps granola ( I found a lowfat, low sugar one called Ezekiel granola)
3/4 cp sugar ( I used 1/2 and they were fine)
2 tsps baking powder
2 tsps cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups chopped cranberries

In another bowl mix wet ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 cp milk
1/3 cp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Bake at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
The original recipe called for rhubarb. I use whatever fruit that I have available.
I was then able to take a nice break with a cup of tea and a muffin while I stitched a fleece band into the hat I just finished knitting. so, it took some effort, but at least I'm now satisfied with my day.

2 comments:

Laure Ferlita said...

Hope you're feeling better soon, Holly! Love the green button on the hat—it really helps to show the other flecks of colors.

thistledowns wool & cotton said...

muffins are in order for this weekend. and i think i have some rhubarb! love your hat!