Thursday, November 18, 2010

a good day

I was finally feeling a little creative today. My energy has been so low that  it's been a while. I started by pulling out 2 projects that were tucked away in the closet. The first one is a large block trip around the world made from some triangles leftover from another quilt. I needed a few more, so I cut those.

Last week while watching the show Best Recipes, I saw a recipe for egg rolls that are actually baked instead of fried. Since I've been watching my fat intake, I was inspired. Then because I  will have 3 vegetarians here at Christmas time, I further decided to make them vegetarian. For the filling I researched a bit more for some filling ideas. I bought a package of coleslaw mix to which I added a grated carrot, sliced pea pods, onion, garlic, and 1 can of chopped water chestnuts. I used the same wet ingredients from Best Recipes added at the end. I've only managed to resist trying one because I didn't make the plum sauce and don't have any in the  house either. I think I'd like to make another batch with the pork filling recipe from the show.

This evening Gord and I are going to a turkey dinner at a church downtown, so I've had the afternoon to spend in my sewing room. I started playing with these blocks that I  gelatin mono printed last summer. A couple had a border already and I had done a little thread painting on most of them. This process  can take me a lot longer than putting traditional blocks together. I arrange it one way, then another way. I take one border off add another. Re-arrange again. I am starting to get the feel of where I'm going with it, but I'm not sure if I want to put my border fabric in between blocks or not. I will cut more and audition it. That is the hardest part for me--making up my mind. I think I must let it rest for today.

1 comment:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The playing with the blocks is sometimes more fun than actually piecing the project. I iike the colors you have used.