Thursday, October 7, 2010

drawing class

I had 3 friends in this morning for a very informal drawing session. I didn't take pictures as they are , I think, self conscious about their drawing right now. It went very well, though. Today, we started with the  line--the different kinds and the feelings they can evoke. We did a doodle page of as many different lines as we could think of, a page of line doodles representing different emotions, and then I introduced zentangles. We also had time to start a small contour drawing of a leaf.
I got a new book in the mail this week called  Drawn To Stitch by Gwen Hedley. I haven't finished reading the whole book yet, but I couldn't resist trying one of the exercises. The picture shows newspaper bonded to photocopy paper, drawn on, then cut and woven back together. After that, I scanned it and played around with the scale. It tried to transfer one to fabric, but it didn't come out very well. I guess the cheaper inks work better. I would like to experiment with that a little more because I would love to do some on fabric.
I pulled out my gelatin printed blocks of the houses. One is actually an outhouse. I have 4  which I've backed with stabilizer and done some thread painting on. I put 2 up on the design wall to see how they'd look with the little scrappy blocks. I think I would add some wonky (perhaps black and white) borders before the blocks. What do you think? Is it too much?

1 comment:

Riel Nason said...

I can totally see that newspaper art being perfect fabric for a bag. I like the patchwork squares as a border. I don't think it's too much at all, but perhaps I am not a good one to ask as I generally think the busier and bolder the better!