Sunday, July 11, 2010

Another Kayaking Day and a Squirrel's Tale

It was supposed to rain today, but it turned out to be a beautiful day. We took a chance, loaded our kayaks and headed for our favorite river, the Nepisiquit. On the river we stopped ashore on some rocks  to eat our lunch which consisted of rye bread with peanut butter and jam, veggies and banana muffins. We also had a swim or two along the way. I always take my camera in a waterproof bag but forgot today. So here is the story of what we saw, and you'll just have to believe me. Among several sets of ducks, ducklings, geese and goslings, kingfishers, hawks, and a bald eagle, we  actually witnessed a squirrel swimming across the river. This is quite a wide river and he did it pretty quickly--a good thing too, as it was shortly after that I saw the bald eagle fly over. I had no idea they could swim. Of all the days not to have the camera.
After that we took some salmon to my in laws at the beach where we barbecued it and ate supper.
We came home a while ago so my husband could go hit balls with his father at the golf course, and I've been playing a little in my room. I tried my seahorse stamp on a practice fabric and then decided to print it on one of my mono prints. Did you ever do something and as soon as it's done wish you  hadn't? Of course you have.
Well, I thought I was planning ahead when I tried the stamp on paper and then a small piece of fabric, and I thought I knew where I wanted the seahorse until I put it there. Then I realized there is too much focus on that side now. It's lined up with the shell as well. I may try adding some more seaweed to the other side and then embellishing, but I would hate to waste all the time if it doesn't work.  I think it might work if I put some ribbon embroidered seaweed to the right of the seashell.
I've got to get out of this room for now; it's too hot!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

It is lovely Holly. Is there a way you could camouflage either the seashell or the seahorse a bit, so only one is prominent in the scene? You are the artist so you can probably tell if it can be done believably...just a thought.

imquilternity said...

I think it's beautiful! Sometimes, when I make a mistake, it actually improves my piece because I end up having to be much more creative when trying to "fix" it! I think it's going to be quite lovely when it's finished.